Friday, April 30, 2010

A Crush on a Hutch...

Well hello again! Sorry that I had to take yesterday off, folks.  It was a totally insane day at work and didn't have a second to rest until it was time for the my head to hit my pillow!  But I'm back in action now!

Now on to the good stuff... let's talk about the kitchen.  I already know vaguely how I want to set it up. You can check out floor plans I whipped up on this post. On them you can see that the kitchen is pretty long and narrow and limits the lay out options.


Again, keep in mind, this is all without accurate measurements. In real life, the kitchen is much more narrow.  I have relatively good storage in the kitchen. There's lots of overhead cabinetry above the stove and sink area but not much below.  There is a helpful little pantry near the door to the bedroom. As some of you know who read and are my friends and family... I am let's say "vertically challenged." I am barely 5' tall and because of this, overhead cabinets often require a step ladder of some kind. Combine a stool in the middle of the kitchen floor with hot food and my proclivity for klutziness and I foresee a disaster:


Yikes.

Long story short (ha) I was going to invest in a hutch. Since we're all Renters, we don't have the luxury of gutting the kitchen and setting it up in a more functional way.  We've gotta work with what we've got! With a hutch, I could have some additional lower storage, that is narrow enough to fit in the kitchen and a can also display my beautiful copper pots. For some reason, unbeknownst to me, I have always visualized this hutch in blue. Of course I could always take an old craigslist find and paint it blue. Which I probably will end up doing. But just for fun, I did a little surfing to see what I could find that's already out there. And man-- I found some beaut's.  Enjoy!




 This one is my all time favorite. The Robbin's egg blue is like summer in a can of paint! I love that it has the lower storage to hide things away, the upper storage to show and tell some cutie little nicknack's, but also has the curvy legs that pull it elegantly off the ground and make it look like a lighter, more delicate piece.

Sadly, any hutch at all will be a late addition to the apartment. But that just means you get to see step by step how the place grows and changes! And isn't that what this is all about?

Stay tuned for the reveal of the Plumage nightstand I'm working on!

1 comment:

  1. Good Stuff. I like the shape and space that the last hutch picture has but I am a HUGE fan of the blue paint on the first hutch picture. Love the blog!

    P.S. I stole the Feedjit thing and put it on my blog too! How cool is that thing.

    ReplyDelete

Heya Nesters! I always love your feedback! So dish, because we all want to hear it! <3