Monday, May 3, 2010

Showing off the Plumage

Hey Nesters! Remember Lexie's night stand that I started oh-so-long-ago?


Well I've secretly been working on it little by little. The terrible weather in Boston lately has been hindering my refurb-abilities.  I got my trusty block and some 60 grit sandpaper and sanded it to give it a good rough surface for the paint to adhere. I slapped on 2 coats of the Martha Stewart Plumage paint in a high gloss.  Gloss and high gloss paints tend to be easier to wipe down because of their slick nature and make your newly made over piece, easier to care for. I didn't paint the top wicker because I knew I would have mirror covering it. I did put only one light coat on the sides to see how I liked it. As of right now, I'm still undecided.

I am lucky enough to have B&R Glass, a fantastic Mom'n'Pop glass store just down the street from Mom, who will cut custom size glass and mirror at an excellent price.  I get all my glass there for my custom sized frames and its always so cheap! So, after picking up 4 custom cut pieces of mirror for around $20 total and a small bottle of Gorilla Glue... here is how it was turning out!


Sadly, I believe the drawers are all slightly warped and different sizes and my glass, though all the same size, doesn't fit in the bottom 2 drawers. I'm going to go back and get them shaved a little to pop 'em into the frame of the door just like the top one. 

Like I mentioned before, I'm still deciding what to do with the side panels... any thoughts? Stay wicker? Panel them over with wood? Use mirror on that as well? Sadly, the 2 other panes of glass were just a hair too big for the front of the other two drawers so I will have to bring those back and get them shaved down a bit. So, check back again to see the final result of this glorious nightstand for my glorious cousin!

1 comment:

  1. I would not use mirror on the sides....I kinda like the wicker but I'm sure whatever you do will look awesome!

    ReplyDelete

Heya Nesters! I always love your feedback! So dish, because we all want to hear it! <3