Thursday, May 6, 2010

Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire....

Ok, Ok... I know it's a little early to start thinking about Christmas.


(Just kidding.  Its NEVER too early to start thinking about the next holiday season)

So, when pondering the set up of my new apartment, I have thought to myself on multiple occasions "Jeez, where am I going to  hang my super cute Christmas stockings?  I wish I had a fireplace." 


Being a temporary nester doesn't always allow you all the luxuries you might desire in your home... like a hearth. But you can always fake it! A good place to search for antique mantels is an architectural salvage store.  Luckily you can also find anything on Craigslist, including cheap fireplace mantels. Here's one I found under $150.


Not bad, right? Since they wont actually be highlighting a working fireplace, its best to keep it pretty modest in stature and in embellishments. You'll need to put something underneath the mantel so it doesn't look empty.  Like an elegant display of funky candle sticks or pillar candles at differing levels.


So simply cozy, isn't it? 

Another totally different idea is to fit a piece of plywood to the opening and adhere either some really funky metal self adhesive tile that they have in copper or stainless steel.  My vote for this option: copper.


Or get tin ceiling tiles. And make it a little more ornate. I imagine a repetition of these under the mantel? Ugh! My heart is a-thumpin'!

But for now... these are just some thoughts. We'll have to see what I end up with and I will show you the DIY of the whole shebang! Happy 232 Days until Christmas, Nesters!

{Count down to Move- In Date: 9 Days}

No comments:

Post a Comment

Heya Nesters! I always love your feedback! So dish, because we all want to hear it! <3