Sunday, May 23, 2010

The Hall of Frames Part II


Hey there Nesters! Well, this weekend flew by with some wedding-attendee-madness and I missed you all yesterday! But let me catch you up a little further on what has been going on in my neck of the woods! 

You already saw my workspace on Friday.
My next undertaking was a wall frame collage.  It hangs over a mid-century, vintage dresser that I inherited from my mom.  It was hers when she was a kid and we painted silver when I was in high school.  We were doing DIY projects even then!  Now it is the secret encasing for all my art supplies and it is busting at the seams! 

So, remember this post, when I gushed about my love for this Red Envelope Wall Frame? Well, I didn't quite go that route and hang them from the rod... I decided to go with the independently hanging, asymmetrical frame collage.  I started with an image of my grandfather standing on a table singing and just went from there.


Many people suggest using painters tape to map out how you want your frames to lay before you start banging holes in your wall.  I, on the other hand, did not go that route. I laid out all my images {which were for the most part all black and white images in black frames} on the dresser. I picked and chose and built up and out in a random pattern but so it still looked equally visually weighted. 


I tried to keep in mind the placement of the artifacts that would be housed on top of the dresser as well.  I knew I wanted my Grandmothers milk maid to keep her home on the right hand corner of the dresser, so I left the bottom right corner of the collage a little more empty. 


It's still a work in progress. I'd like it to grow and morph as times goes on. But mostly, I'd love to cover that eyesore or the fuse box that you can see above the bouquet of flowers.  {NB: Best $4 investment from the grocery store ever! There is nothing more homey-feeling than fresh flowers! And they are in a $10 glass pitcher from The Christmas Tree Shop. Did I mention I love bargains?}

Hope you like it! 
Stay tuned for tons of up coming project reveals!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Heya Nesters! I always love your feedback! So dish, because we all want to hear it! <3