Friday, May 21, 2010

Office Space

Heya Nesters! I'm gonna go ahead and ask you to come in on Saturday.  Just kidding!  Office Space anyone?
Enough movie references... I'm back with you today to show you my newly assembled, Hollywood-inspired workspace.


The desk itself has been with me since high school if not before then. Its a solid {NB: heavy!} slab of wood that my dad DIY'd by screwing a few metal legs onto.  Personally, I'm not a huge fan of the color of the wood, so you may be seeing a staining project coming up soon! And of course, you recognize Buttercup, don't you?  I also plan on replacing this bookshelf and its partner in crime which is on the other side of the room. I think I'd like something a little more substantial. {Don't you worry your pretty little head, of course I'll take you with me on that search!}  I took a square vase that I had sitting unused on my shelf and filled it with all my illustration markers. It will make it easy for me to find the color I want and I think it looks so fun!


My parents both went to art school so much of the art we all have in our homes were not bought. The centerpiece of the desk is a lavender silkscreen on silver metallic paper of 1930's Hollywood starlet, Greta Garbo. My faux Uncle Michael {my parents good friend from art school} designed and squeegeed it himself back in their hay-day.  This is and always will be one of my favorite pieces. The wall sconce, on the other hand, was an old purchase from Urban Outfitters that I was ready to sell on Craigslist until I realized this would be the perfect place for it.  Low and behold, I love the way this came together.

 For a short while after college, I waitressed at a restaurant that shared a back alley with the Gap and it happened to be just after their Audrey Hepburn inspired pants stopped being advertised. While walking out one night, I noticed these plastic rolls of images of Audrey herself sitting on the stairs, waiting to be chucked. I couldn't bear to see that! So I took these 2 strips with me and they have been displayed for all to see ever since. They come with me everywhere.  Don't you love them too?


So that's it! What do you think? Success on redesign numero uno?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Heya Nesters! I always love your feedback! So dish, because we all want to hear it! <3