Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Love's accents

Hey Nesters! I hope all of your enjoyed some BBQ'd meats {or veggies!} yesterday in celebration of this fine Memorial day! Well, while I was stuffed to the gills with grilled goods, I did a mini DIY project that looks great hanging next to my newest LOVE image. 

Yesterday I showed you the how this piece hung on the wall in the kitchen.


But somehow this just looked so empty to me.   In this post I mentioned covering some small canvases with the lemon printed fabric. But with the idea of making my own kitchen towels, I think that fabric can be put to better use as towels, rather than wall hangings.

So I decided to paint on the canvases.  I know- old school, right?  I have an affinity for polka dots so it seemed natural for me to choose a Chuck Close-esque take on polka dots. 


So here's the how-to:

Step 1: Choose the size of your canvas according to the size of your frame. I got four 8X8 canvases for around $5.00 each.   If you get even smaller ones, you could layer 3 on each side.

Step 2: Choose the size of your "dots".  I used a smaller cereal bowl. I decided I wanted the space between the dots at the edges to be about 1" apart, so I measured each of the 4 sides and marked the center, and then 1/2" on either side.



Step 3: Grab that bowl that you picked out and lay it over the corner of the canvas face down, lining each side up with the 2 closest marks and trace lightly in pencil. 




Step 4:  Once all your markings are finished choose what color you'd like to paint! This is the fun part! for a little girls bedroom it would be fun to do a pink and green. Or for a dark master bedroom, maybe you would want to do a chocolate brown and a beige.  Since I'm in love with yellow, I chose a canary and white. Since I knew I wanted the white to be the inner color, I started with the yellow on the dots.



Step 5: Once the dots are completely dry, paint the inside color carefully to clean up anything that that may have gone outside of the lines. 

Step 6 (optional): Once I finished painting and cleaning everything up I wasn't totally happy with the pop of the yellow/white. I busted out my trusty black Prismacolor marker and went in and traced each of the dots with as steady a hand as possible.  {Think Greys Anatomy} But since this can be done with any color this part is totally optional. Maybe your pink and green will pop enough  that you won't need any tracing! That's the beauty of DIY, you can make it suit your needs.


Step 7: Hang and enjoy!



So here's the breakdown:
The Love image: $0 printed by Daddio. 
White Frame: $14.99 on sale at A.C. Moore
Canvas: 4 at $5 each-- $20
Paint/Marker: Already owned.
All in all this entire wall decor cost $35. 
 

The yellows aren't exactly the same and I'm happy that it turned out that way because it makes it a little more dynamic.  So, what do you think? I want to hear your thoughts!

PS: Now you can be a friend of Temporary Nest on Facebook!  So come on over and become a fan!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Heya Nesters! I always love your feedback! So dish, because we all want to hear it! <3