Monday, June 14, 2010

Home Sweet Home

Home. Sweet. Home.  

Eleven of us rented a house in rural Vermont this weekend {though having driven through it, I'm not entirely sure there are parts of Vermont that aren't rural} and had a blast. But let me tell you... it makes me realize how much I love coming back to my new home.  



I've been living here for nearly a month now and while I am loving it and am fully unpacked, I am still not 100% "home" yet.  I feel as though it takes quite some time for your house to become innate to you.  I'm still fumbling, looking for things in the kitchen or remembering which drawer houses the tape.  Sometimes I still wake up at in the morning confused.  All these changes and adaptions come with time though. 

I've felt somewhat nomadic for the majority of my life.  In Jr High and High School, like lots of kids, my week was spent split between my parents houses.  {I always loved being able to decorate two different rooms two different ways.} Then moving on to college-- also like most kids-- the first two years were spent in two different dorm rooms, and the following two years were spent in two different slums apartments and always spending the summers between the parents homes again. 


Post-collegiate, I spent just under a year at home with the Mama Dukes before moving into my first real slum apartment for 1 painful, moth infested, unheated winter,  car vandalizing year.  As luck would have it, I moved into my last apartment thinking it was going to be a 3 month sublet and spent the longest time there than anywhere else! I was in that apartment for nearly 2 years.  And here I am again, in another new house that I have been challenged to make a home.

Maybe its the 1 year mark that I need to pass to start feeling like this is my true-blue "home"?  What do you think? Do you have a trick you use to make you feel like your new place is home?  Is it a certain candle you burn? Or a certain picture you hang? I'd love to hear your tips!

1 comment:

  1. I think a home becomes a home when you begin to make memories there with someone else.... remember the time we burnt the hot dogs.... remember the first time we made an apple pie here... lit the fire... HOME!

    -DP

    ReplyDelete

Heya Nesters! I always love your feedback! So dish, because we all want to hear it! <3