Tuesday, July 6, 2010

DIY Project: Coasters

Welcome back Nesters! Today, I'm excited to bring you one of my new favorite projects. It's a step by step how-to make your own coasters! I got my directions from the bridal DIY website Style Me Pretty{No, I don't have a new addition to my left ring finger that I'm not telling you. I just happen to be seeking new projects and they've got an abundance of really great ideas.} With a few tiles, cork and some scrapbooking paper you've got yourself some brand spankin' new beverage receptacles! 


Click READ MORE to see the directions!
Here is a list of Supplies you will need:
-Decorative paper: $.89 each
-Cork (roll or tiles) $8
-4.25" ceramic tiles: .$16 each
-Modge Podge or another decoupage glue: $0 already owned
-Rubbing alcohol and a paper towel: $0 already owned
-Super glue (I used Gorilla Glue): $0 already owned
-Exacto knife and metal ruler or paper cutter: $0 already owned
-Minwax Polycrylic Protective finish in Clear Gloss: $8.50
-2 sponge brushes: $.57 each

First things first, I headed out to my local craft store and picked up some super cute scrapbooking paper which can range from about $.69 to $3.50 per page.


Each of these were $.89 and both are double sided, so I got twice the bang for my buck! While I was there I picked up some cork squares that were 12"X12" for around $8. You could also use felt but I decided I wanted to go heavy duty. 


Home Depot was the next stop to pick up the tiles which are the center of the entire coaster.  I bought the 4.25"x4.25" white ceramic tiles for $.16 each. {NB: It could be really fun to get a colored tile and use the lace edges of a doily to create a pattern.} 


And I also picked up a small can of Minwax Polycrylic Protective Finish in clear gloss.  This is a water based sealant that will finish the entire coaster at the end. 

Alright, now lets begin:

1) Cut all your paper into 4"X4" squares. In the original directions it tells you to cut each square 1/4" smaller than each tile and I didn't believe it, silly me! The directions were right, without cutting each square slightly smaller than the tile, there is a tiny overhang on each side which leaves potential for it peeling. So be sure to cut each square slightly smaller than your tile.

{See how I was still marking it at 4.25"? Wrong idea!}


2) Bust out that Modge Podge and your tiles. Be sure your tiles are clean with a good alcohol swabbing.  With a sponge brush, put a good even coat of the Modge Podge (or other decoupage glue) on the tile. 


3) Quickly center one of your paper squares on the glue before it dries and press it down, smoothing out any air bubbles.  Put aside and let dry for about 15 minutes. 


4) Once dry, take the same Modge Podge and brush on top of the paper in even coats with the same sponge brush. Be sure only to brush in one direction because the brushstrokes will be able to be seen when finished. Let dry for about 15 minutes. Repeat this step twice more {three times total}.  On Style Me Pretty, they say you can either keep brushing in the same direction, or for a slight crosshatch effect, brush in the opposite direction.


5) Once all these layers have dried, it's time to apply your Polycrylic finish.  Despite being a milky color in the can, it will dry totally clear.  I only applied one coat and let it dry for at least an hour before touching it. 

6) While these are drying, cut your cork or felt into 4"X4" squares.



7) Once your Polycrylic has dried and the tiles are able to be handled without being tacky or gummy at all, flip them over, face down and apply your super glue to your cork and apply to the back of your tile. Be sure to follow any specific directions on the back of your glue label.  {NB: It's a good idea to apply the glue in squiggly lines because the tile is waffled in the back and unless applied perfectly, will not bridge the gap between the tile and the cork.}

8) Set a weight on top of your upside down coaster while the glue is drying, so that it can make a tight seal.

The total of what I spent is:
-2 pieces Decorative paper: $1.78
-Cork (roll or tiles): $8
-4, 4.25" ceramic tiles: $.64
-Modge Podge or another decoupage glue: $0 already owned
-Rubbing alcohol and a paper towel: $0 already owned
-Super glue (I used Gorilla Glue): $0 already owned
-Exacto knife and metal ruler or paper cutter: $0 already owned
-Minwax Polycrylic Protective finish in Clear Gloss: $8.50
-2 sponge brushes: $1.14
Total: $20.06

Jeez, it seems pretty pricey looking at it now, right? But I have 3 whole tiles of cork that I have not used yet.  That means I can make 27 more coasters with these! Not too bad! And I certainly have not used up all of the Polycrylic and that will be around well through all those 27 more coasters.



Well go ahead and give it a shot and see how it goes! Just like I figured things out as I went along, we all want to hear if you find anything out as you go along! Stay tuned for more!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Heya Nesters! I always love your feedback! So dish, because we all want to hear it! <3