Tuesday, December 21, 2010

The Pre-House Guest Dance!

Heya Nesters!  We are quickly encroaching D-Day Christmas day and 'tis the season of house guests.   Which translates to: AWWW FREAK OUT!  


Joe and Molly are coming to stay for Christmas and I've started my prepping.  In the meantime, I've made a list of how to get yourself prepped for your visitors.  Let's boogie....
Ok ok... I haven't been standing in front of the mirror screaming like an 8 year old boy, but I do have a checklist I've been adding to just as often as I've been crossing items off to prepare for my holiday visitors. {And I don't mean Santa.}

1)  Be sure all presents {or remnants of present making} are wrapped or put far out of sight. There would be nothing worse than waking up in the morning with your guest exclaiming "Oh! Look at this tea kettle! I've been wanting one just like it!"  *shudder* Or better yet, have to wake up at 3 AM and wrap presents while they lay nestled all snug in their beds while visions of sugar plums dance in their heads.

2) Do a million loads of laundry.  For those of you Nesters who have a huge fancy bathroom with a huge fancy laundry basket that can be completely out of sight, maybe you don't need to do a million loads of laundry.  But if you're me, and your laundry is right smack in the middle of your bedroom, and is always overflowing, then bust out your quarters!  No guest wants to see 18 lbs of your dirty gym clothes stinkin' up the house. 



3) Make sure you have enough of all the basics.  And by basics I mean: toilet paper, tissues, Advil {or Tylenol if you prefer}, and maybe even some cold meds around this time of year.  You wouldn't want your guest with a head-cold to be sans tissues or have to run out to get some meds.  Keep all them within reach of your guest. Which brings me to my next point...


4) Take advantage and clean out the junk in the bathroom cabinet.  I took advantage of this kick in the rump, and I sat on my bathroom floor and went through everything under my sink.  I threw out expired allergy pills, decorative soaps that were gross and I would never use, old shampoo bottles with 1 squeeze left and a bunch of other crap-ola.  I even had a Target bag full of travel sized bottles.  I weeded through and the ones I kept filled up an empty make up bag that had been squished in the back. Yay for killing two birds with one stone! I took everything out and put everything back in.  I made the extra rolls of toilet paper easily accessible. Every one's got a couple of those embarrassing "maybe I don't want my house guests to open up the cabinet and see these" items so I snuck those out of sight in a different spot.

{Believe it or not... THIS is clean!}

5) Get snacks!  What is the essential part of socializing? The food of course!  So I always make sure I have snacks and beverages that make my guests feel at home.  So yesterday I made a trip to Trader Joes' and picked up Joe and Molly's favorite coffee beans and some half and half.  {Since I drink tea mostly with milk instead so I don't have all those fancy things!} I also picked up some other munchies.  Even though, all our big meals will be eaten at my Moms house, I feel its important to have some goodies for a midnight snack or two! It also doesn't hurt to have freshly baked goods hot on the counter when they arrive.



6) Get something nice for your guests.  Get a little fancy and pretend you're a hotel.  Lay out their towels on their bed, and a couple of bottles of water for a late night parched throat.  Maybe even leave a bowl of chocolates or some fresh flowers.  Leave a couple fun books by the bedside for them to read themselves to sleep.

{Martha read my mind}
7) Clean up.  This one is a no brainer.  I don't have to tell you guys this, you already know it.  But humor me...  Change the sheets on the bed.  Clean the kitchen and the bathroom. Change all the garbage liners and vacuum the bejeezus out of your place. 

Best. Present. Ever.


And that should be it, Nesters!  I can't wait to have Joe and Molly here and make them feel at home.  Do you have any additional suggestions? Some tried and true tips you use every time someone stays at your house? Please share! I'm sure we'd all love to hear it! This week in particular!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Heya Nesters! I always love your feedback! So dish, because we all want to hear it! <3