Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Looking for a change.

People who know I have this blog and my obsession with furnishing my apartment, always ask me "So, is it done yet?"  And I feel like that's just an odd question. To me, that's akin to asking someone if their wardrobe is complete.  I suppose it could be. But most people acquire things slowly.  They collect things they love as they find them, and when some things are old and tired, they get replaced.  At some point, you could stop updating and getting new things and stay stagnant, but to me that would say scream, "I give up!"  Though it would be nice to be finished and not have to worry about saving up for new pieces.  But I refuse to give up on my wardrobe or on my apartment.  So on that note: 

I am lookin' at you silver thing



With a faux wood and white finished this good ole dresser took my mother through high school and college then sat in my grandparents basement virtually untouched for a few decades until they offered it to me when I was in middle school.  It was mom and I's first DIY project together. {Cue the "aww's"}


I wanted it silver and we added new silver pulls.  Over the 15 years of my use, it has gotten beat up and I've tried to touch it up but every time I try, the metallic paint has mixed differently and looks totally different than the original coat. Notice the discolorations on it? Yeah. Not so nice. 


The legs have become unsteady and worn out. I'm sad to say, I think its time for a new piece.  Considering one of the positives of my apartment is the high ceilings, I plan on building up! A tall vintage dresser would be perfect here.  Something somewhat like this:

{http://www.flickr.com/photos/inakingdom/3183283716/} 
I love that the legs pick it off the ground. I much prefer any furniture that have this look. Without fail will make it look lighter and less imposing.  The bow of the front is awesome.  Depending on the condition of the piece I end up with, I may or may not paint or stain it. We'll just have to play that one by ear. But the most important part is to not lose any of the storage space I have all the while narrowing the footprint, making the room feel more spacious. 

So what do you guys think? Are you the kind of person that thinks "If I get this one last piece, everything will be done! FINITO!" or are you like me that everything is growing and evolving all the time?  Do tell! We're all waiting to hear from you!

3 comments:

  1. I think your analogy with wardrobes and decorating is right.

    I've noticed that when I get that piece of furniture I really want, it just creates a "If You Give a Mouse a Cookie" type moment where I come up with more projects and things to do/purchase/make than I could even think of beforehand.

    Here's a recent example: http://ktrefinishingschool.blogspot.com/2010/11/if-you-give-mouse-cookie.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gina, I definitely agree that it'll never be "all done." It is an ongoing process of growth and movement, of rearranging and re-imagining. One of my new mottoes lately -- which I've been exploring on scarlet&sterling (www.scarletandsterling.com) -- has been "Always find a new frontier." To be done is to be dead!

    ReplyDelete

Heya Nesters! I always love your feedback! So dish, because we all want to hear it! <3