Friday, August 6, 2010

DIY Project: Jewelry Hoop

 
Heya Nesters!  I've been working on fixing up my bedroom for the last couple of weeks. I've desperately been looking for a new system in which to keep my jewelry.  After some brainstorming, I came up with going a little "crafty" and made my way to my local craft store to pick up a needlepoint hoop and fabric.

I took home my goodies and ironed the canvas as best I could.  It was folded up in little plastic package causing some serious crease-age!   Much to my chagrin, not all the wrinkles came out but I turned off the iron and secured it into the hoop in hopes that overtime, the creases would fall out.  I had started out having the idea of using the stretching hoops and canvas just plain without any additives. 


I love the detail in the screw at the top of the hoop. 


This is what it looks like from the back of the hoop. You'll notice, I trimmed the rectangular fabric around the hoop, allowing about 1/2" of excess. I really like the look it gives when its  hanging on the wall.


Then I thought, "Gee, I'd love to have some kind of cute eyelet detail around the edge!"  And instead of buying an eyelet trim, which I thought could prove difficult to keep in place, I got about $.60 worth of needlepoint floss that worked with the color scheme of my bedroom: soft, light teal and a buttery yellow. 


I decided to start with the teal and kind of wing it! I've never done needlepoint before but I know how to sew, so how hard could it be??  Well, keeping the half circles even was tough at first but I got the hang of it after a while.  In hindsight, I should have cut a template out of paper and with pencil, lightly traced it onto the canvas to give myself guidelines.



Once my entire parameter had the half circles, I went in to the center of each with the yellow floss and made small eyelet "dots" which were really just 2 stitches, forming a cross. I wanted to change it up by the time I was completing the scallops and decided to drop the last one and instead insert a cute little flower, just a little off center. 


I had tested how it would all look with the earrings hanging and found a glitch in my plan.  Some of the earrings had linking backs that proved hard to thread through the canvas.  So I picked up a package of 3/4" D-rings and sewed two of them on either side of the circle.


And before I knew it, I had my finished product!  I haven't decided where exactly to hang it on my wall, so for now, its just propped up on my dresser.



 So what do you guys think? Simple enough, right? You can make it any way you want! Any colors, any surface pattern you want! So give it a shot and be creative! I'd love to see pics of your versions!

2 comments:

  1. I looking/have been looking for a new way to store all my necklaces. Anyone have any ideas?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Sue!

    Thanks for inquiring! I need necklace storage also, I was thinking of using those D rings to wrangle necklaces as well. Just a thought! Does anyone else have ideas for Sue?

    ReplyDelete

Heya Nesters! I always love your feedback! So dish, because we all want to hear it! <3