Sunday, March 7, 2010

Numero Uno

Well, I saw my first listing yesterday. (Thanks for coming with me Marion!) It was nice, but I am not head over heels in love. The space had its ups and downs, as all places do. I wanted to take pictures to show you all but I got the idea that it may have been frowned upon. :( Bwah bwah bwah. But! I'll let you know my criteria to give you an idea where I'm coming from:
  • 1 bedroom: I'm pretty sure a studio would be just too small, I have a whoooole-lotta furniture that I really don't want to sell, I'd rather put them all to good use.
  • 1 off street parking spot: Most of the towns I'm looking in have overnight parking bans in the winter and I cannot afford a parking ticket every night!
  • A fairly updated kitchen with space for a dining area: I love to cook and a gas stove and disposal are must-haves for a cook.  Also, currently don't have a dining space with the exception of a 2 stool and table set placed in the corner of the living room. But that doesn't exactly scream "gourmet meal" to me.
  • A space to put my sewing gear: I have an entire dresser filled with sewing and crafting gear not to mention a large sewing table/desk. So, I need somewhere to put it! Having it sit out in the living room would be less than ideal to say the LEAST! 
  • Lastly, like all of us kiddies in our mid-twenties-- I'm on a budget.  I really would love to have heat and hot water included in my rent because then I don't have to worry that in the winter, I'll be on a Ramen Noodle diet. Ahhh... the wonders of living in New England.
With all that being said, I don't think my criteria are unheard of. I don't need a dishwasher if its just me. I don't need a washer and dryer in the unit (though, that would be a HUGE bonus) and I don't need a marble and gold leafed bathroom with jet-tub or a butler to come with the place.


This place ticked off a few of the things on my check list. It had a wonderful kitchen with new cabinets, countertops and gas stove with a WALK IN PANTRY! Yes, you heard right folks... I would take the apartment for that alone!! One thing that stood out to me was that the hard wood floors were painted gray. I can only imagine someone thought it was just cheaper to slap some paint on it rather than refinish them. I hang my head in shame at that decision. It was a full one bedroom with separate dining room, living room, bedroom and office/sewing space and kitchen. But all the rooms were interchangeable! They were all comparable size and they were all pretty small to boot.  There was only 1  teeeeeeny tiiiiiny closet in the place as well. Luckily, my current closet is not deep enough for hangers, so I had to buy an Ikea wardrobe. That I am in love with.  But imagine putting this in a teeeeeeny tiiiiiny room? Yeahhhhhh... its a monster!

Some people will say "a room looks bigger with furniture in it!" and others say: "if a room looks small, once you put furniture in it its going to look even smaller!" I am of the latter mindset. If its lookin' small when its empty... stuff this baby in the corner and a full size bed next to it and see if it looks bigger to you!

But amongst all those things the biggest deal breaker for me was the parking situation: shared tandem driveway with the neighbors. BOO!! **Two thumbs down!**  I feel bad enough asking my roommates to move their cars, let alone going to my neighbors and knocking on their doors for them to move their cars? Uh-uh. Ain't gonna happen. 

All things added up, and it was still pretty pricey and I'd need to try to talk the landlord down.  Not really worth it.

*sigh* So, it was kind of a bust. Not total though, its always good to get out and look at places!  I have another appointment tomorrow evening as well with a different realtor so maybe he'll be willing to show me more places, in a little closer to my price range.

Stay tuned! I have an exciting project in the works for you guys! I cant wait to share it with you guys!!

1 comment:

  1. Hey lady! Love the blog--I lived by myself for a year and it was awesome. Living with Mike is basically the same, except more fun and you have someone to split the chores with. ;-) I hope your search goes well. -Elyse

    ReplyDelete

Heya Nesters! I always love your feedback! So dish, because we all want to hear it! <3