Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Week 2: On FIRE!

Hey Nesters!  I have been galavanting around town working on my latest chair {yet to be named} here, there and everywhere! And boy do I have a LOT to show you!  First, I busted out the orbital sander to shred the finish off the wood.




Of course keep in mind, I didn't need to paint or sand a good portion of this, since it will be covered with fabric.  Since the sander isn't as discerning as I am with details, I did the legs and front of the seat by hand with a 60 grit sandpaper.  I did notice once the chair was stripped, that the right leg was cracked.  So, I just poured a glob of wood glue down into the top of the crack and let it settle down into the leg. Purdy, ain't it?


Now, when it comes to the design of the chair. I've been talking "red with Marimekko" up and down this blog.  I hunted in real life and online and lets be realistic: I spent so much on Satine's mohair that I want to spend quite a bit less on this chair. I'm talking under $12 per yard. Oh yeah and Marimekko only cost around $70 per yard.  Not quite in the budget.  While still on the hunt for the right fabric, I bit the bullet and went for the red paint regardless.  The first chip I picked up in Home Depot was Martha Stewart Lady Bug. I sorted through other colors by other brands but this one was exactly what I wanted.  Shaken and stirred, I was on my way!


Three thin, even coats and 2 days of drying later, here is the painted frame.  I am still in love with the color! I knew that first things first, I needed to add webbing to the back.



Adding burlap is the next step for the back of this chair, so on it went!


Kevin and I discussed the seat of my latest project.  The springs just were broken, old and tired and needed to be removed.  But where to go from there? Horse hair? Foam? First things first, just as the back... webbing is the base.


I tacked and wove the webbing together and I made it as far as cutting out the burlap to mimic the back before I just could not work anymore.  I cleaned up my work spot and headed home.  Since it's school vacation week I'll have to wait until next week to head back to class and work on it more.



I'm still debating names though! I LOVE the ideas you guys had!  You are all so funny with your ideas!! {Did i mention that I totally love you guys?!}  Lindsay, Britney, Charlie... How to choose!  does the color change any of your minds? Or make you lean a certain way?  I'll show you swatches that I'm narrowing down tomorrow and maybe that will sway you.  Happy Tuesday Nesters! <3

6 comments:

  1. Love the red! Can't wait to see a fabric choice.

    P.S. I finally hung up all of my silhouettes! Check it out: http://dans-le-townhouse.blogspot.com/2011/04/silhouette-wall.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you're not near a Crate and Barrel outlet and want me to check the one in Dallas for Marimekko fabric, I will. Email me if you want me to take a look.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So maybe Fire is the new name...or Fyre, if you wanna get fancy. You may have come up with your own name. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes Ikea fabric looks a *little* Merimekko-y? But it also looks *a lot* cheap and see through.

    Alas.

    I'm sure you found something awesome. I've always wondered why Merimekko is so expensive.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved seeing pics of this project. My dad restored a chair like this more me and I love, love, love it! So cool! =)
    Kristina J.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the kind words guys! :)

    HH- I thought about Ikea fabric, and I have one on my short list but I'm afraid of the quality. But great suggestion!

    Dana- THanks again for the sweet and generous offer!! <3

    Tanya- I am LOVING your silhouettes!

    Kristina- I'm so happy you like it! I'd love to see pics of your Dads chair!

    ReplyDelete

Heya Nesters! I always love your feedback! So dish, because we all want to hear it! <3